These are white peaches, which are much more delicate and less acidic in flavor than the earlier yellow peaches. They have very little acidity, so they don't work as well in pies or other baked desserts; they need some lemon juice or another addition to bring up the acidity and flavor.
I am in the middle of a busy week so I know there won't be any canning or intensive preserving going on. But I love peaches and am so excited to have a few pounds to play with at the end of the summer, and I don't want to waste them.
Have you ever quickly preserved or cooked with a few pounds of peaches? Any ideas?
Peach recipes from The Kitchn:
• Individual Peach Ginger Hand Pies You Can Pack for Lunch
• Peach and Cornmeal Upside-Down Cake
• Fresh Peach Frozen Yogurt with Only Four Ingredients
• Recipe: Chunky Peach Pancake Topping
• Super-Quick Summer Dessert: Peach and Biscuit Crostata
• Peach Cookies from Cafe Chocolada
• Recipe: Peach and Thyme Polenta Tart
(Image: Faith Durand)