One of the most practical trends we saw at the Housewares show was the growing popularity of cutting boards, shaker jars, and other kitchen tools printed with basic recipes and conversions. We think this makes so much sense, especially in small kitchens that don't have room for one more cookbook, and also for new cooks who are just learning the basics. Take a look at some of our favorite printed tools below.
• These top two images are of a vinaigrette mixer by Orka. This has been out for a little while but we only just now saw it person. For salad-lovers this a great little tool with helpful ideas for vinaigrettes right there on the sides.
• Buy: Orka Vinaigrette Mixer, $11.95 at Amazon
• This Dressing Jar from New York-based SiliconeZone
is similar but perhaps even more multi-functional. We loved a lot of SiliconeZone's Catamount Glass products - they are a nice blend of practical, multi-use, and gently old-fashioned. Look for more soon. This jar isn't available in retail yet; we'll let you know when we find out where you can get it.
• And then at Typhoon
's booth we saw this cutting board which is elegant, simple, and keeps many common conversions at your fingertips. This does not seem available to buy, yet.
What do you think of kitchen tools like these? We saw many more with similar styling; these are just some of our favorites. We just think it's easier than dashing off to Google every time you need a basic conversion!
More 2008 Trend Highlights
• Hot Trend: Bamboo Towels and Textiles for the Kitchen
• Fresh Colors from France: Emile Henry's Figue Clay Pots
• Fresh Colors from France: Staub's Titanium Cocotte
• New Color from Le Creuset: Dijon Yellow
(All images: Faith Hopler for The Kitchn)