For years, we relied on casseroles and baked pasta dishes (like the No-Boil Chunky Cheese Lasagna, above). Lately we've been gifting hearty soups like chili, which is easy to freeze if the recipient doesn't need it right away. We throw in a salad, with the dressing in a separate container, a good baguette, some cookies or a sturdy cake, and a bottle of wine. We think it beats flowers or another onesie any day.
Of course, we're always looking for new go-to, make-ahead meals. What do you take to friends? What meals have you received that have brightened your day?
Recipes to round out a good gift basket:
- Chickpea and Chorizo Soup (photo above)
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Green Salad with Walnut Oil, Celery, and Radishes
- Rainbow Chard Salad with Raisins and Walnuts
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Monster Cookies
- Bill Granger's Oat, Pear, and Raspberry Loaf
Photos by Emma Christensen (lasagna) and Faith Hopler (soup).