Having mastered basic homemade pasta
dough, we've started experimenting with various add-ins, from roasted vegetable purées to herbs and spices. Often times, these noodles are so pretty and flavorful that they hardly require a sauce. (On a weeknight, we'll just toss them with olive oil and maybe a little cheese.) Flavored pastas also make fantastic gifts. Here are a few ideas…Unless otherwise noted, these ingredients may be added along with the eggs. If the mixture is too wet, you may need to add a little more flour.
• Beets: The most talked-about fettuccine we've ever made had roasted red beet purée in the dough. The flavor is subtle but the color is stunning. Check out these pink pasta recipes for inspiration.
• Chocolate: Mix a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder with the flour for a chocolate pasta that may be served for dinner or dessert.
• Herbs: Add flecks of flavor with few tablespoons of finely minced fresh herbs like rosemary or sage. For a bolder green color and flavor, use a purée of soft herbs like basil or parsley.
• Peppers: Add a couple of roasted and puréed red bell peppers for a pretty orange-red color and subtly sweet flavor. For a bolder flavor, try fresh or dried chile peppers.
• Saffron: Combine a small pinch of saffron threads with a tablespoon of warm water and let stand for a few minutes. Mix this in with the eggs for a lovely golden pasta.
What are your favorite add-ins for homemade pasta?
Related: How To Make Pasta Like a Pro
(Image: Emily Ho)