I've been holding on to this one for a while, barely able to keep it to myself and just waiting for the right moment to share it with you. With these sunny days tempting us with summer and strawberries filling farmers market tables, that moment is now! Yvette Van Boven's new cookbook Home Made Summer is packed with the kinds of recipes that we'll be wanting from now until apple-picking season: bright and colorful salads, tarts filled with warm summer fruit, cocktails muddled with fresh herbs, and lots of other tasty surprises. This is the book of the summer.
• Who wrote it: Yvette Van Boven
• Who published it: Stewart, Tabori & Chang
• Recipes for right now: Homemade Quark, Asparagus Pie, Rhubarb Pie with Almond Paste, Negroni Fig Ice Pops, White Gazpacho, Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms with Lavender Salt, Italian Rib Eyes with Garlic and Herbs, Foolproof Double-Baked Tarragon Souffles, Spelt Salad with Sweet-Tart Beets, Polenta Pizza with Ratatouille, Prosecco and Elderflower Jelly
• Other highlights: I fell in love with this book within the first five minutes of flipping through its pages. The photos are so vibrant and full of life that it feels like you're about to step into a party. I love the playful cartoons Yvette sneaks into the pages: a tiny cat saying "hi!" from below a recipe, dancing jars of homemade jam, an octopus hugging a chili pepper. This sense of fun and play is exactly what draws me into the kitchen this time of year.
Yvette's recipes achieve that balance of feeling familiar and engaging while also giving me something new. This is no doubt the result of the melange of cultures and sense memories from which she draws: a childhood in Ireland, frequent visits to Paris, and her everyday life in Amsterdam. In almost every recipe, there's something I immediately love alongside something unexpected, like crab cakes with a citrusy tomato sauce, eclairs with a lavender filling, and hiding raspberries inside a molten lava cake.
I could cook from nothing but this book all summer and be perfectly content. I hope you love this book as much as I do.
• Who would enjoy this book? Cooks looking for inspiration for their summer cooking
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Home Made Summer by Yvette Van Boven
• Visit the author's website: Yvette Van Boven
• Yvette on The Kitchn: A Peek Into the Kitchen of Yvette Van Boven: Chef & Author of Home Made
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)