We truly wrestled with whether to share this report from Sunday's Hollywood farmers' market. On the one hand, we know many of our readers (and writers) live in colder climes than California, and strawberries might not be the most welcome sight if you're having yet another root vegetable meal…
Yet, on the other hand, we hoped this post might inspire our readers who do reside in places where growing and harvesting continues through the winter. If you live near the Hollywood farmers' market, or any winter market, please go and take advantage of it! It's such a blessing that always makes us fully appreciate where we live. And if you're trying to eat light or just want to energize your cooking, a trip to the farmers' market should give you plenty of inspiration.
Here are some of the beautiful fruits and vegetables now in season in Southern and Central California, along with some cooking ideas.
• 1 Strawberries – Sweet winter strawberries were definitely the pick of the day at the Hollywood market. We could hardly get in to snap a photo, the crowds were so big!
• 2 Romanesco – Of all the cauliflower and broccoli varieties now in season, this is certainly the most fun.
• 3 Bloomsdale spinach – This would be delicious with Sesame Dressing.
• 4 Mushrooms of all kinds – Have you tried Kathryn's Dry Sautéeing method?
• 6 Avocados – Emma just posted this tempting Quinoa-Avocado Salad recipe.
• 8 Kiwifruit – Brighten up the winter with Mango Kiwi Salsa. (California mangoes are available from Mud Creek Ranch.)
• 9 Tangerines – These flavorful Fremont tangerines, or any winter citrus, would be excellent for tangerine curd.
• 10 Cherimoyas – These custardy fruits are usually imported, but the California-grown variety is now in season.
• For more information on the Hollywood farmers' market and other Los Angeles area markets, visit Farmernet.com
(Images: Emily Ho)