It's true: food looks different depending on how you serve it. If you're serving cheese on a shiny, onyx dish it's going to stand out much more than if you served it on white china. And your spread will take on a stark, modern sensibility. If you use a variety of colors on the table, you're going to communicate a fun, festive, and casual vibe. Whereas if you go with all white, you're going to relay a classic sentiment, unaffected by whimsy or trends.
This year, I gathered together a small smattering of my favorite serving pieces that would work well in most homes, from modern lofts to bungalows, and will accommodate most price ranges.
• Acacia Wood Platter, $15.95 from Crate and Barrel - Bring a little nature inside for the holiday season. Neutral and beautiful. I love this for antipasti and cheeses.
• Scarlet Poppy Platter, $98 from Sundance - Bring festive red bring cheer to any room in the house.
• Large Modern Platter, $70 from Heath Ceramics - These platters from Heath Ceramics are a classic for the holiday season and beyond. A mid-modern sensibility, surprisingly sturdy, and stunningly spare.
• Flow Entertaining Platter, $18 from West Elm - Simple, elegant, and affordable.
• Three Cheese Platter, $58 from Terrain - This charming, subtle cheese platter would make a lovely gift for any cheese-lover, or a welcome addition to your collection of serving pieces at home.