Sour cream keeps for quite a while, so we're not in an enormous rush to get it used up right away. Still, unless we make a plan, we know that half-container will sit there right up to its expiration date (and possibly longer, truthfully!).
Here are a few ideas we have for using it up in the next few weeks:
1. In Other Casseroles: We'd hadn't really thought of using sour cream in casseroles until this recipe. We really loved the subtle hint of sour it gave this dish, and we could see it working well in other casseroles like baked mac n' cheese and green bean casserole.
2. In Sauces: We already like using ricotta to finish off a pasta sauce, so why not sour cream? We can also stir it into a pan sauce at the last minute to add thickness and flavor.
3. As a Dessert Topping: A dollop of sour cream can make a nice contrast to tangy fruits like blueberries, raspberries, and mango. We like it with a little brown sugar whisked into the sour cream.
4. In Baked Goods: This will take a little more planning on our part, but there are plenty of muffin and quick bread recipes out there that use sour cream. We're thinking of this Cranberry and Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Williams-Sonoma or this Sour Cream Maple Cake from Epicurious.
5. In Dips: And of course, if nothing else, there's eating sour cream by itself with maybe a few seasonings folded in for good measure. We've been wanting to try Elizabeth's spicy dipping sauce, so maybe this is our perfect excuse!
What other ways do you use sour cream in your cooking?