Help Me Identify This Not-Quite-A-Muffin-Pan!

Good Questions

Q: "I live in a group house, so over the years our kitchen has acquired a lot of random stuff as people come and go. The other day my roommates and I discovered this. It looks like a muffin tin, but the cups are narrow and deep. We attempted making cupcakes in it, but they came out narrow and unevenly baked, and were also rounded at the bottoms. Any idea what this is meant to be used for?

Sent by Lauren

Pin it button big

Editor: Lauren, well you lucky girl! You have a popover pan on your hands! Those extra-deep and narrow wells are designed to help the popover batter lift up and out into a gloriously puffed crown of crisp, eggy bread.

So get into the kitchen and make some eggy, airy, crispy popovers tonight!

Recipe: Easy Ethereal Popovers

Readers, any special popover tips for Lauren?


Related: The Ultimate: Giant Cheese Popovers

(Images: Lauren via email)

You Might Also Like

Promoted Stories


Advice, Questions

Faith is the executive editor of The Kitchn and the author of three cookbooks. They include Bakeless Sweets (Spring 2013) as well as The Kitchn's first cookbook, which will be published in Fall 2014. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband Mike.