A big slice of pie is always nice in the summer, but sometimes a few small bites is all you need. That's why there's a lot to love about hand pies. They're portable, which makes them a great candidate for summer picnics or impromptu backyard lunches; they're an excellent excuse to buy more summer fruit at the market; and there's a wide variety of interesting flavor combinations you can try! Most hand pie recipes are simply pie recipes that call for slicing the dough in neat, round circles and parcelling out the filling evenly. I like to make an extra round of dough whenever I make pie and keep it in the freezer in case hand pie inspiration should strike (and it surely does). Then I simply thaw the dough, wedge in some fresh macerated berries, fold, crimp and bake. Below I've gathered a few of my favorite recipes to help get you started. Happy summer baking!
Try a Recipe:
- Blackberry Cardamom Hand Pies with a Buckwheat Crust (pictured) - A Cozy Kitchen
- Strawberry Dark Chocolate Hand Pies - Two Peas and Their Pod
- Blueberry Hand Pies - King Arthur Flour
- Bourbon Peach Hand Pies - Smitten Kitchen
- White Peach, Rose and Basil Hand Pies - Local Milk
(Images: A Cozy Kitchen)