October is Harvest Month at The Kitchn! During Harvest Month we're trying to show how eating frugally and eating well are not mutually exclusive. We're spotlighting some of the best local, seasonal produce we can find, and giving you recipes, tips, and ideas on how to use it better. Last week we showed you a lump of local goat feta cheese, and here now are all the recipes we used it in.
Pasta, grain salads, and roasted veggies below - plus a select few local cheese producers who might be near where you live.
Local artisan products like this feta can often be expensive, but we feel like these small luxuries are worth it. We've crumbled this cheese into four or five dishes this week, and it's raised the quality of each. Just a little goes a long way.
• Harvest Spotlight: Local Goat Feta Cheese
Feta Cheese: Four Recipes
• Recipe: Watermelon, Rosemary, and Feta Sala
• Recipe: Warm Wheat Salad (Or, Reverse Tabbouleh)
• Dinner Quick: Pasta with Feta, Broccoli, and Sausage
• Recipe: Roasted Fall Vegetables with Feta Cheese
A Few Cheese Producers (Near You, Perhaps?)
• Grassfields Cheese, Coopersville, Michigan
• Northern Prairie Chevre, Woodward, Iowa
• Valley View Farm Cheese, Topsfield, Massachusetts
• Central Coast Creamery, Modesto, California
• Foote's Hold Dairy, Dudleyville, Arizona
There are at least 130 local cheese producers and farms in the Local Harvest database. Take a look!
Any more local treasures you've picked up lately?