Last week we focused on local feta cheese for our weeklong Harvest spotlight. This week it was apples, and judging by your response to our question about favorite eating apples, we think that there are a lot of apple-lovers out there. We like eating apples and cooking with them too; here are a few favorite recipes.
A Few Apple Recipes from our archives
• Sticky Spiked Double-Apple Cake with a Brown Sugar-Brandy Sauce - A truly fabulous cake, from Regan Daley's In the Sweet Kitchen.
• Rustic Pear and Apple Galette - An easy dessert with two fall fruits.
• Apple Custard Tart - Apples, custard, and cinnamon.
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese - A very creative entry from our recent ice cream contest!
• Weekend Apple Pancake - Maybe our favorite breakfast ever.
• Appetizer Recipe: Crab Apples Poached in Sweet Wine
• Tarte aux Pommes
A Handful of Apple Orchards Is one of these near you?
• Lake Ida Apple Farm - Lake Park, Minnesota
• Feil Pioneer Orchards, est. 1908 - East Wenatchee, Washington
• Anderson Orchards - Fort Collins, Colorado
• Prospect Hill Orchards - Milton, New York
• Johnson's Orchards & Winery - Bedford, Virginia
If none of these are near where you live, try looking up another orchard through Local Harvest.