Last week we focused on local feta cheese
for our weeklong Harvest spotlight. This week it was apples, and judging by your response to our question about favorite eating apples
, we think that there are a lot of apple-lovers out there. We like eating apples and cooking with them too; here are a few favorite recipes. A Few Apple Recipes
from our archives
• Sticky Spiked Double-Apple Cake with a Brown Sugar-Brandy Sauce
- A truly fabulous cake, from Regan Daley's In the Sweet Kitchen
• Rustic Pear and Apple Galette
- An easy dessert with two fall fruits.
• Apple Custard Tart
- Apples, custard, and cinnamon.
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
- A very creative entry from our recent ice cream contest!
• Weekend Apple Pancake
- Maybe our favorite breakfast ever.
• Appetizer Recipe: Crab Apples Poached in Sweet Wine
• Tarte aux Pommes
A Handful of Apple Orchards Is one of these near you?
• Lake Ida Apple Farm - Lake Park, Minnesota
• Feil Pioneer Orchards, est. 1908 - East Wenatchee, Washington
• Anderson Orchards - Fort Collins, Colorado
• Prospect Hill Orchards - Milton, New York
• Johnson's Orchards & Winery - Bedford, Virginia
If none of these are near where you live, try looking up another orchard through Local Harvest.