Happy Presidents' Day from The Kitchn! We're taking today to look over some DIY posts in honor of our February Jumpstart Project. (Have you entered a kitchen project yet? You have just a few more days.) We'll have some other roundups, too, including one now of some of our favorite President-related food posts.
Read on for Barack Obama's favorite pie (in music video form), Michelle Obama's shortbread cookies, Jefferson's favorite ice cream, and recipes from the Inaugural Luncheon.
• Obama's favorite tea in the White House
• Truly fascinating Presidential food history, including a recipe for a (massive) cake by Martha Washington. (Maybe for her husband's birthday, the original Presidents' Day?)
• Recipe: Thomas Jefferson's Vanilla Ice Cream
• A video of Obama laying down the pie challenge and making a point about the election while he's at it.
• Pollan on food policy for the new President.
• Going back: what does a state dinner look like?
• Inauguration fever! Recipes for the Inauguration.
• Duck, cinnamon sweet potatoes, and apple sponge cake: the official inaugural luncheon recipes.
• On a new President and seafood stew.
• Patriotic menus for election night.
• 2008 Candidates on Food: Barack Obama
• Right wings and left wings: more election night food.
• Michelle Obama's Shortbread Cookies
(Images: Taqueria visit, righthand side: Photograph by Michael Lloyd/The Oregonian )