- Austin, TX
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- Our kitchen is open and bright with industrial touches, while maintaining the warm coziness of our living space.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.:
- When we moved in 8 years ago, our late-70s house had a boxed-in, low-ceiling kitchen, complete with yellowed oak cabinets and gold laminate countertops. It was like a honey oak cave! There was just one point of entry, so our main goal was to really open it up, and make the kitchen part of the living and dining area.
We didn't have a ton of space to work with, so one of the main challenges after removing all those cabinets was storage! Ikea and the restaurant supply store have been great resources. Without the cabinets or countertop for the sink and dishwasher, we had to get creative. Our freestanding commercial sink has become of our favorite features.
We've also learned to simply make do with less stuff. (Does anyone really need 23 different plastic storage containers or 12 mixing bowls?)
With the exception of the tile, we've done most of the work ourselves, and it was (and still is!) a long work in progress.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?:
- We like to keep it simple. Lots of one-pot meals like turkey chili, with some jalapeno cornbread on the side. We live in a warm climate, so we can also grill outside most of the year, which we love.
KitchnVideo of the Day