Looking to eat more leafy greens? If you need some inspiration, Kristine Miles shares a whole year's worth of fresh and creative recipes in her cookbook Green Smoothies for Every Season. Spanning the entire year from spring to winter, the 52 smoothie recipes ensure plenty of variety from a flavor and nutrition standpoint.
• Who wrote it: Kristine Miles
• Who published it: Ulysses Press
• Number of recipes: 52
• Recipes for right now: Heart Starter, Green Machine, Bone Builder, Mandarin Mania, Pink Panther, Mid-Winter's Warmth
• Other highlights: Organized by season, the recipes feature combinations of leafy greens and other fruits and vegetables at their peak during various times of year. For example, smoothies for winter incorporate greens like celery, collards, fennel, kale, and spinach, plus plenty of citrus. Spring smoothies include greens like pea shoots, watercress, and lettuce, and in summer the greens are paired with stone fruits and berries. The author lives in Australia so tropical fruits also figure prominently in the recipes. All recipes are dairy-free.
In addition to recipes, the book includes chapters about the health benefits of green smoothies and seasonal eating, tips for getting the most from your smoothies, and descriptions of various ingredients like natural sweeteners, herbs, sprouts, nuts and seeds, and even how to open a fresh coconut.
• Who would enjoy this book? People looking to incorporate more smoothies, greens, and seasonal produce into their diets
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Green Smoothies for Every Season: A Year of Farmer's Market-Fresh Super Drinks by Kristine Miles
• Visit the author's website: Kristine Miles
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Image credits: Emily Ho)