I was a vegetarian for fifteen years, a time when grains and legumes were an everyday mainstay. Now, although I do eat meat and fish, I still rely on hearty, satisfying side dishes to accompany small portions of salmon, chicken or pork.
This time of year, a hearty side dish filled with whole grains and protein-packed beans or lentils is what keeps me going. And the great thing about so many of these side dishes is that they honeymoon as a wonderful, filling mid-day meal. So if you have a little down-time over the holiday and want to add a gratifying side dish to your repertoire, we've gathered our most popular from 2011. For occasions when grains and legumes deserve certain stage, too.
• 1 Camino's Fried Farro with Dark Greens
• 2 Black Bean and Heirloom Tomato Quinoa with Lemon Dressing
• 3 Whole Wheat Couscous with Cherries and Arugula
• 4 Farro Salad with Peas and Leeks
• 5 Barley Salad with Green Garlic and Snap Peas
• 6 Sweet and Crunchy Quinoa Salad
• 7 Cranberry Bean Salad with Basil, Mint, and Feta
• 8 Warm Chickpea Salad with Cumin and Garlic
• 9 Black-Eyed Pea Salad
• 10 Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs and Shallots
Welcome to The Kitchn's Best of 2011 roundup! From December 19 through January 1 we are rounding up some of our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the past year.
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits)