Ice Cream Chef: Stephanie
What inspired this recipe? I was inspired to make this dish by reading about Prunes in Armagnac being a favorite of many chefs. I wanted to do something with apricots that are so delightful in the summer but couldn't locate any Armagnac. I thought the orange flavor of Grand Marnier would pair well with the apricots, which I chose to use dried, so this tasty treat can be made year round. (Continued below...)
Tastetester comments and full recipe after the jump. Take a look, then vote here!
Tastetester Comments: Ann Hinkel: "I love this stuff! Delicious blend of apricots with the hint of orange, and nice crunch of almonds."
Grand Marnier Apricot Ice Cream With Almonds
Makes about 1 Quart
1 cup dried apricots, diced
1 cup Grand Marnier (or other orange flavored liquor)
To prepare the apricots, put diced apricots and Grand Marnier in small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, turn to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand at least 2 hours.
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup slivered almonds, chopped fine (toasted if you like)
To make the ice cream, pulse the apricots and any remaining liquid, along with sugar in food processor or blender a few times until pureed. Add the heavy cream, whole milk, sour cream, vanilla, and salt and blend until smooth (one or two minutes).
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, preferably overnight, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. During the last few minutes of churning add the chopped almonds.
Transfer to storage container, cover ice cream with plastic wrap and store in freezer.
To serve, remove ice cream from freezer a few minutes before scooping to soften.
Contest InformationGo here for the full scoop on the Best Lick! 2008 contest, including prizes, rules, and entry form.
The Entries So FarHere's a list of all the entries so far. Click the thumbnail to go to the entry.
• Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans
• Coconut Peach Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
• Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Ice Cream
• Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream
• Grape Ice Cream
• Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream
• Rosemary-Lime Sparkle Ice Cream
• Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt with Pistachio Biscotti Bits
• Visions of Sugar Plum Ice Cream
• Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
• Mint Raspberry with a Chocolate Swirl
• Spice Cream with a Twist
• Peach Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Salted, Roasted Pistachios and a Balsamic Bay Leaf Reduction
• Pink Lemonade Ice Cream
• No Churn Lychee and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Merlot Poached Pears
• Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream
• Grand Marnier Apricot Ice Cream With Almonds