A sipping soup should be simple in appearance but rich in aroma; after all, you are inhaling the fragrance before you drink. These are some we'd love to have in our mugs.
• Cashew Tomato Soup, from the Kitchn. Anything tomato would be good, but we like the complexity and heft the cashews add.
• Cream of Shallot Soup, from the Kitchn. We love oniony soups served in mugs, and this one is easier to eat than a traditional french onion soup.
• Vegetarian Split Pea Soup, from 101 Cookbooks. Slightly chunky but still slurpable.
• Scallion Ginger Broth, from Martha Stewart. Mmm, broths are the best when you're really chilly or under the weather. This one sounds fresh, piquant, and adaptable to so many ingredients (if you want to put it in a bowl instead).
• Moroccan Carrot Soup, from Saveur. Another simple soup that's elevated with some interesting spices.
• Creamy Leek Soup, from Gourmet (pictured below). You top this one with whipped cream—just like a cup of hot chocolate!