Besides frying them, what can you do with green tomatoes? Lynne Rossetto Kasper, host of the Splendid Table show on NPR, has some new and tasty ideas for us to try!
First off, Lynne recommends either serving green tomatoes in a raw preparation or cooking them all the way down. Anywhere in between and she says they end up rather slimy.
With this in mind, here are some of the ideas she gave a caller with a surplus of green tomatoes:
• 1. Green Tomato Salad - Raw green tomatoes add a great crunchy texture to late-summer salads.
• 2. Green Tomato Chutney or Salsa - Toss those green tomatoes with onions, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, and vinegar for a basic pickled chutney.
• 3. Green Tomato and Yogurt Soup - With cucumbers and garlic, this is an excellent version of the Middle Eastern and Eastern European classic.
• 4. Green Tomato Curry - Make a basic curry with a coconut milk base and then add the green tomatoes at the very last second.
• 5. Pasta with Green Tomatoes and Ricotta - This would be good hot or cold!
What are your favorite ways for using up green tomatoes?
• Listen to the Whole Episode: August 28 Episode of The Splendid Table with Lynne Rossetto Kasper
• More Ideas from the Kitchn: What to do with Green Tomatoes
(Image: Flickr member kbear65 licensed under Creative Commons)