Help! We're small, and we're trying to be cool, and we spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Our house came with a semi-ancient Caloric oven/stove/microwave combo. The microwave broke a couple of times, and in having it fixed we discovered that it's so old that it costs more to have it fixed than it would be to buy a new one.
Now it's broken again and we can't bear to pay to have it fixed again.
But...there it sits, built in to the oven/stove. We could just buy a microwave and put it on our kitchen counter. But we hardly have enough counter space as it is.
So here's the question: is there any way to disconnect the micro from the oven/stove? There are a bunch of screws...if we start unscrewing are we going to find that it just comes out, or are the innards irretrievably connected to the works of the oven/stove? Any help you can offer would be so appreciated.
Julie, we're going to be careful about this one, since we have zero experience with this particular brand of appliances. But it's very hard to imagine that the stove's essential workings would be so tied to the microwave. There might be some sort of combined wiring but we find that hard to imagine. Your stove is gas, correct? If so there isn't much possibility of them really being connected.
Don't take our word for it, though - hire a licensed electrician to come and get rid of the microwave. Also see our recent post on recycling appliances
- ones that work and ones that don't.
Also, given your setup, even though we're quite positive about microwaves recently, that area over your stove looks cramped. Do you need to reinstall a microwave there? Perhaps get an ultra-slim model and mount it elsewhere in your kitchen, or go without it entirely.
Does anyone have other advice for Julie, or direct experience with this model of appliance?