I just finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and I'm interested in the chapters re: making your own cheese and yogurt. I was wondering if you could do a post on this subject; I would like to find out other people's opinions before I start.
• Question for the Cheesemonger: What Kind of Cheese Can I Make With My Rennet? - With step-by-step instructions for mozzarella.
• DIY Ricotta/Farmer's Cheese
• How to Make Cheese at Home
On yogurt, we have been meaning to make homemade yogurt for a long time. We remember making it when younger in a setup like this one:
• EuroCuisine Yogurt Maker, $29.95 at Sur La Table
But you can make yogurt with nothing more than milk, a little commercial yogurt to start it, and a warm spot in the kitchen. Does anyone have better instructions for Sarah? We'll do a post on this soon, too.
Also remember that other dairy staples like butter and crème fraîche are very easy to make at home. We make our own table butter as often as we can. Find a good source of local milk and cream and you're set.
• Recipe: DIY Crème Fraîche
• Recipe: DIY Butter