What's happening over at Serious Eats? Well, something rather shocking. Lucy Baker makes the argument that Brussels sprouts are the new bacon! Bacon is certainly a favorite topic of discussion at Serious Eats, so we're curious about how this works out.
Also at Serious Eats, another great salad, favorite kitchen tools, tips on picking out good chicken, and an open letter from Ed Levine to Slow Food.
• Cooking from the Glossies: Salad with Pancetta Crisps, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, and Pear
- All right, maybe Brussels sprouts won't ever quite replace bacon, but they certainly are getting trendy! And no one can argue about how good they are together, like in this autumn salad that Lucy whips up.
• An Open Letter to Alice Waters and the Good Folks at Slow Food Nation - Ed Levine writes a manifesto on preserving artisan foods, saying, "merely believing in Slow Food as a cause is in and of itself not enough. I have always found the Slow Food movement here in the U.S. to be more about nonspecific soaring rhetoric and less about specific actions we can all take that actually further the cause of slow food in America."
• How To Choose Rotisserie Chicken - Tips on picking out a chicken for those nights when you just need a little extra help.
• Yellow Roasted Beet Salad - So bright, colorful, and delicious!
• What Are Your Favorite Kitchen Tools? - What's your favorite? Double edged ceramic slicer? Knife? Bamboo cutting board?