Has breakfast seemed a little...lackluster since you went gluten-free? Do you miss syrup-drenched waffles with crispy, buttery edges? Slices of cinnamon toast to dunk in cocoa on Saturday mornings? Quiche with a truly flaky crust? If you nodded along to any of these, Gluten-Free Breakfast, Brunch, and Beyond might be just what you've been looking for.
• Who wrote it: Linda J. Amendt
• Who published it: The Taunton Press
• The angle: Don't let gluten come between you and your pancakes
• Number of recipes: 100
• Recipes for right now: Banana Nut Bread, Sweet Potato Biscuits, Spinach-Mushroom Crêpes, Coconut Waffles, Pecan Oven French Toast, Cherry Coffee Cake, Cinnamon Swirl Bread, Southwest Frittata, Asparagus Quiche
• Other highlights:
All the recipes in the book use one of two gluten-free flour mixes: an all-purpose blend of white rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch, and a second blend that replaces the white rice flour with all brown rice flour. Most recipes also use a bit of xantham gum to help give the gluten-free doughs more elasticity and structure.
This cookbook does a great job of straight-up replacing your breakfast food favorites with gluten-free versions. It also does a great job of straight-up replicating the whole baking experience. With just two simple gluten-free flour mixes, mixed and ready to use for any recipe in the book, making these recipes feel less like embarking on a science experiment and more like...well, like heading into the kitchen to make a batch of pancakes for breakfast.
• Who would enjoy this book? Gluten-free cooks and those cooking for gluten-intolerant friends and family
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Gluten-Free Breakfast, Brunch & Beyond by Linda J. Amendt
• Visit the author's website: Linda J. Amendt
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.