We will never turn down a good butter-basted turkey drumstick on Thanksgiving, but sometimes...well, we wonder if turkey has the potential to be even more. Whether you feel the same or whether you’re just looking for something new for your Thanksgiving table this year, check out these non-traditional takes on roast turkey.
• Adobo Turkey with Red Chile Gravy from Gourmet - Roast turkey gets a spicy kick with dried chiles and cumin.
• Mark Bittman’s Braised Turkey from the New York Times - What you lose in crispiness with this recipe, you gain in succulent and super-tender meat. This is one of our all-time favorite Thanksgiving recipes here at The Kitchn.
• Salted Roast Turkey with Orange, Fall Spices, and Sherry Gravy from Epicurious - By “fall spices,” this recipe is really talking about “Asian five-spice.” Glazed with molasses and soy sauce, this turkey sounds irresistible.
• Tuscan Roast Turkey Breast from Martha Stewart - This turkey breast rolled around a filling of rosemary, fennel seeds, and garlic would be perfect for a smaller Thanksgiving dinner.
• Pimenton-Brined Turkey from Food & Wine - What about a Spanish twist on roasted turkey?
• Spice-Rubbed Turkey with Cranberry BBQ Sauce from Feasting on Art - A smoky-sweet turkey glazed with a sticky barbecue sauce.
• Potato Crusted Turkey Breast Stuffed with Jalapenos and Corn with Mole Sauce from the Food Network - Woah. This recipe from Emeril LaGasse is just...woah.
• Grilled Jerk Turkey from Taste of Home - The spicier the better, we say!
• Plum-Glazed Roast Turkey with Plum Gravy from Epicurious - Want to go sweeter this Thanksgiving? This plum-infused turkey sounds divine.
Do you have a favorite non-traditional turkey recipe?
(Image: Ditte Isager/Gourmet)