We've all been in the situation where you have a recipe calling for buttermilk and you end up with half a container sitting in your refrigerator with no big plans. If you've been making your own popsicles or ice cream this summer, buttermilk is the perfect addition or substitute for cream or even milk.
The reason? It's just as thick as cream and satisfies in much the same way (without the high fat content) and it has a smooth, light consistency with a characteristic tartness. Buttermilk desserts are perfect for this time of year because the buttermilk helps balance out the natural sweetness of fruits you may enjoy with it such as peaches, figs, and pears. Lately all around the internet, we've seen some inspiring ideas for using buttermilk in new ways. We think you'll like what you see.
Try a Recipe:
• Lillet Buttermilk Shake - 101 Cookbooks
• Lemon Buttermilk Shake - Culinate
• Buttermilk Ice Cream With Basil and Vanilla - Delicious Days
• Strawberry Buttermilk Popsicles - Round the Table
• Orange, Buttermilk, and Mint Pops - The Los Angeles Times
Related: Blackberry Buttermilk Ice Cream
Image: Delicious Days and Round the Table)