Last week we showed you a Ginger Applesauce Cake from a great book on cooking with kids. Many of you felt, though, that there was too little ginger in the cake to justify its title. It's for kids, remember, so the spicy ginger was probably kept lighter for little tongues, but it made us also consider other recipes that have a lot more punch.
We adore ginger - it's good for you in so many ways! Here are over twenty recipes, good tips, and great ideas for eating (and drinking) more ginger.
• 1 D.I.Y. Recipe: Crystallized Ginger - Candied ginger is very good at soothing upset tummies; we always take it with us when we travel. It's also delicious in cookies and other sweets.
• 2 Recipe: Ginger and Cilantro Baked Tilapia - Ginger punches up a mild white fish.
• 3 Recipe Review: Indian Spiced Carrot Soup with Ginger - It also goes especially well with sweeter vegetables, like carrots...
• 4 Recipe: Sweet Potato Soup with Miso and Ginger ... or sweet potatoes.
• 5 Recipe: Kenny Lao's Rickshaw Dumplings - And where would pork dumplings be without a healthy helping of ginger?
• 6 Recipe: Clean-Out-the-Pantry Pumpkin, Peanut, & Ginger Soup - Thick and delicious.
• 7 Recipe: Fried Brown Rice with Ginger and Scallions - Easy and quick, and the ginger gives it a huge burst of flavor.
• 8 Recipe: Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage, and Rice Soup - This soup also gets a nice punch from ginger.
• 9 Recipe: Apple-Blackberry Pie with Ginger - And now for sweets! Berries and apples are natural complements to ginger.
• 10 Apple Ginger Pie Bars - Another apple-pairing.
• 11 Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream - So much flavor!
• 12 Recipe: Ginger Cinnamon Caramels - A twist on the classic caramel.
• 13 Recipe: Peach, Plum, and Ginger Jam - An easy homemade jam with spicy ginger.
• 14 Recipe Review: Dark Gingerbread Pear Cake - Lots and lots of fresh ginger, molasses, and sweet pears.
• 15 Recipe: Mango Ginger Frozen Yogurt - A summery treat with tropical flavors.
• 16 Recipe: Spiked Lemon Ginger Sorbet - Another summer treat, with booze!
• 17 Recipe: Flu Season Ginger Honey Lemon Tonic - Maybe our all-time favorite ginger recipe, a simple and refreshing hot drink sure to cure you of that winter cold.
• 18 Cocktails and the Common Cold: Vodka, Honey, and Ginger - An even heavier-hitting booze and ginger concoction.
• 19 Recipe: Sujeonggwa (Korean Persimmon Punch) - A sweet Korean drink with ginger and persimmon.
• 20 Recipe: Authentic Chai - Real chai tea, spicy with fresh ginger.