It's different, too. A break from white kitchens that are so popular (and lovely) but not too crazy a departure. Grey adds dimension, gives some weight to the room, and feels like a sharp, well-tailored suit.
Here are some favorites we've seen lately:
1. Haskell Harris's Birmingham kitchen. This magazine editor renovated her small house on a budget, and she claims these kitchen cabinets were cheap. From Southern Living.
2. Rena and Derek's Benjamin Moore Stone. Remember this San Francisco kitchen tour? That's the color on the bottom cabinets, which we think make a small kitchen feel luxurious.
3. Ina Garten's open city kitchen. One of two for Ms. Garten...
4. Emily's grey wall. An all-white kitchen with a grey accent wall in Chicago. From Apartment Therapy.
5. More grey walls in Chicago. A designer-decorated show house kitchen, with warm cream cabinets and grey walls. From Cooking Light.
6. Two-tone grey cabinets. Dark charcoal on the top, pewter on the bottom. From Sunset.
7. A country, wood-filled kitchen. Grey seems like a modern color, but here it is in a very country-looking old kitchen. From Domino, via Ode to My Deco at sfgirlbybay.
8. Subtle, taupe-grey in Virginia. This kitchen is in a house designed by Steven Gambrel. We love the pale blue barstools and pretty roman shades.
(Images: Charles Walton IV; Dana Velden; Simon Upton; Emily Ballard; Tria Giovan; Muffy Kibbey; Domino; Steven Gambrel)