Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Washington, DC
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- When my long-distance boyfriend and I moved in together, it was really important to me that our apartment feel like a home and reflect both our tastes. We chose a bright avocado (the color is actually "Sassy Green") for the kitchen walls. The calendar my boyfriend made, a vintage Fellini poster we found in Italy last summer, hand-me-down cookware from our families, and magnets made from personal ads I cut out of indie newspapers are all little artifacts from our lives that make the kitchen feel like home for us.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- The over-cabinet baskets, wall-mounted spice rack, ledge above the stove, and repurposed bathroom etagere maximize vertical storage space. We "ikea-hacked" our knife rack by gluing two magnetic knife racks together to mount on the fridge to minimize counter clutter. To free up limited counter space and prevent spill damage, I put my iPad or cookbook on a removable cabinet mounted shelf when I'm cooking.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- I love to bake because it makes the whole apartment smell delicious. And I love using herbs from my window box garden. I tried a savory basil cookie recipe recently that combined the best of both worlds.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool Kitchens 2012