Apples, peaches, plums, and pears: Early fall is prime time to enjoy the glorious colors and flavors of stone fruit. This time of year we almost always have a bowl of fruit in the dining room, and we like to use our prettiest bowls to display it. The beauty of fall fruit deserves center place.
Last week we had a reader request for a roundup of fruit bowls, so here are a few that we think could show off autumn fruit to the best effect.
While some of these bowls are extremely affordable, others are more pricey. We do think it's worth investing in a handmade, high-quality statement piece or two for the table. A big bowl — handmade by a craftsman, or made out of ultra-fine porcelain — something extra-special, is worth having along with the IKEA plates and other simple tableware we usually use. One big gorgeous bowl or platter can really make a table feel special.
• 1 Wine Barrel Stave Bread Bowl, $95 at VivaTerra
• 2 Tripod Serving Bowl, $38 at A+R
• 3 Felted Fruit Dish, $38 at Valerie's Gallery
• 4 Mud Australia Nest Bowl, $108 at Rose and Radish
• 5 Oval Woven Clay, $32 at Bowls with Holes
• 6 Oval Wire Basket, $34 at Wisteria
• 7 Sophie Conran 13" Salad Bowl, $52 at Conran
• 8 Footed Bamboo Bowls, $12.95-$31.96 at World Market
• 9 Pressed Paisley Serving Bowl, $32 at Anthropologie
• 10 Coupe Flared Rim Serving Bowl, $10.99 at World Market
What do you like to display and store your fresh fruit in? We like to keep fruit out in the open as much as we can; it helps us remember to eat more of it!
Related: Etsy Find: Felt and Fabric Fruit Bowls