• Traditional Spinach-Ricotta - Sautéed onion and garlic, wilted spinach, mozzarella, ricotta, and tomato sauce. If you eat meat, a handful of diced sausage is never amiss in this one.
• Pulled Pork or Chicken - A good scoop of the pulled meat along with a little extra barbecue sauce and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese.
• Mixed Grill - Leftover grilled steak chopped up with leftover grilled veggies and a handful of whatever cheese is in the fridge. I usually don't put a sauce with this one.
• Steak Pockets - Along the same lines, chopped bits of steak with roasted red peppers and goat cheese.
• Wilted Greens - A whole mess of greens (kale, chard, beet greens, whatever hasn't been used up from the CSA), wilted with garlic and red pepper flakes. A little ricotta or monterey jack helps balance out all that healthiness!
• Indian Curry - Curries thick with chickpeas, braised bits of meat, and wilted spinach also make good filling. Great for using up leftover take-out, or make your own. (If the curry has a lot of sauce, I usually scoop out the veggies and meat with a slotted spoon.)
Your turn! What fillings do you love best in your homemade calzones?
(Image: Emma Christensen)