I wasn't kidding last week when I said that calzones are simultaneously one of the handiest and most delicious ways to to use up leftover bits and pieces
from the fridge and pantry. Judging by your responses, I'm not alone! From one calzone fan to another, what favorite fillings have you discovered?Following the basic ratio of 2-3 cups of cooked veggies, leftover meat, cheese, and sauce for a batch of six calzones, these are some of the fillings that have gotten a thumbs up in my house:
• Traditional Spinach-Ricotta - Sautéed onion and garlic, wilted spinach, mozzarella, ricotta, and tomato sauce. If you eat meat, a handful of diced sausage is never amiss in this one.
• Pulled Pork or Chicken - A good scoop of the pulled meat along with a little extra barbecue sauce and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese.
• Mixed Grill - Leftover grilled steak chopped up with leftover grilled veggies and a handful of whatever cheese is in the fridge. I usually don't put a sauce with this one.
• Steak Pockets - Along the same lines, chopped bits of steak with roasted red peppers and goat cheese.
• Wilted Greens - A whole mess of greens (kale, chard, beet greens, whatever hasn't been used up from the CSA), wilted with garlic and red pepper flakes. A little ricotta or monterey jack helps balance out all that healthiness!
• Indian Curry - Curries thick with chickpeas, braised bits of meat, and wilted spinach also make good filling. Great for using up leftover take-out, or make your own. (If the curry has a lot of sauce, I usually scoop out the veggies and meat with a slotted spoon.)
Your turn! What fillings do you love best in your homemade calzones?
Related: Chewy, Crispy Pizza: 12 of Our Favorite Pizza Recipes
(Image: Emma Christensen)