Let's see what's in my cooking arsenal, and place bets on how long this will last...
I have an abundance of:
- Flours - 2 pounds all-purpose white, 2 pounds whole wheat pastry, 10 pounds (!) whole wheat.
- Corn Products - 1 pound masa, 3 pounds polenta, 1 pound blue cornmeal.
- Legumes - 4 pounds lentils, 1 can adzuki beans, 1 can soybeans, 2 cans refried beans.
- Rice - 3 pounds brown, 2 pounds jasmine, 1 pound basmati, 2 pounds arborio, 1 pound forbidden (?) rice.
- Other Grains - 2 pounds farro, 2 pounds barley.
- Nuts - 2 pounds almonds, 1 pound macadamias, sadly no cashews or peanuts.
- Noodles - 1 pack udon noodles, 1 box campanelles, 1 pack mung bean threads.
- Condiments - Tamari, Sriracha, Pickapeppa Sauce, tapatio, hoisin, barbeque sauce, ketchup.
- Oil - Nearly 750mL of both canola and olive oils.
I'm sadly lacking in:
- Nut Butters - Zero, unless you count tahini.
- Sweeteners - 1 cup sugar, no maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Canned Tomato Products - Just one large can whole tomatoes.
It has only been a couple of days but the kitchen cupboard cuisine has been going very well. I've made sweet potato rancheros using this recipe from The Post-Punk Kitchen with fresh tortillas, whole wheat muffins with currants and almonds, more tortillas for breakfast, and warm farro and spinach salad. So far, so good — wish me luck!
And any particular tips or recommendations for my cupboard-cleaning-cooking adventues?
(Image: Tess Wilson)