This month's issue of Food & Wine included a version of the classic wedge salad served on a skewer: chunks of romaine and crispy slab bacon skewered and served with a blue cheese dipping sauce. This got us thinking about all the possibilities for this party-friendly, utensil-free way to serve salad.
We love Caprese salad skewers, and have seen recipes for Greek salad skewers, but we think there are a lot more salads that would be great served in this way. To adapt a salad for the skewer, remember to cut the ingredients into manageable chunks and don't include anything (like very crumbly cheese) that will easily fall off. A dressing can be served on the side as a dipping sauce, or you can marinate the ingredients before skewering.
Here are some recipes and ideas for salads on a skewer:
Salad Skewer Recipes
• 1 Bacon-and-Romaine Skewers with Blue Cheese Dressing from Food & Wine
• 2 Caprese Salad: The combination of cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and basil is a classic.
• 3 Greek Salad Skewers from Fine Cooking: Cucumber, feta cheese, kalamata olives and cherry tomatoes are skewered and served with a drizzle of olive oil.
Salads to Try on a Skewer
• 4 Fruit salad: Any fruit salad would be lovely served on skewers. How about tropical fruit salad with creamy lime dipping sauce?
• 5 Panzanella: Dress the bread salad and let it sit for about 30 minutes before putting the components on the skewer.
• 6 Melon and prosciutto: So simple and so good.
• 7 Roasted beet, goat cheese and arugula: Red beets might be messy, so we would opt for golden beets instead.
• 8 Avocado, fennel and grapefruit: Chunks of cooked crabmeat would be tasty with this too.
• 9 BLT salad: A skewered version of a salad version of a sandwich? It could work.
• 10 Watermelon, rosemary and feta: Use a firm feta for this salad.
What salads would you serve on a skewer?
Related: Unexpected Favorite: My Oh So Practical Metal Skewers
(Images: Food & Wine; Elizabeth Passarella; Fine Cooking)