We very often make a big salad over the weekend, leaving out the greens and using grains like barley, farro, or brown rice as the base. This becomes our lunch all week long, something we look forward to eating and that keeps us away from the leftover pizza in the office fridge! Here are our favorites - what are yours?Almost any of these salads can be eaten as they are or warmed for a minute in the microwave. We sometimes mix them with salad greens for some fresh flavor and extra crunch. Some leftover shredded chicken or fish can round out the proteins.
• Meyer Lemon Grain Salad with Asparagus, Almonds, and Goat Cheese
• Quinoa Tabbouleh - Also try reverse tabbouleh in a Warm Wheat Salad!
• Wheat Berry Salad with Blood Oranges, Feta, and Red Onion Vinaigrette
• Rice and Mixed Green Salad with Dates, Cashews, and Chickpeas
• Wild Rice Salad with Roasted Green Beans and Dried Cranberries
• Warm Farro Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Fontina
• Cous Cous with Raisins, Pine Nuts, and Capers
• Roasted Beet Salad with Barley, Feta, and Red Onion - This version with swiss chard is also delicious!
• Quinoa (or Farro!) and Avocado Salad
Do you have a favorite grain salad?