Figure that out as a first step, then narrow your choices from there. For a start, here are advantages and disadvantages to both:
- Generally less expensive than built-ins.
- Simpler initial installation and easier to change out in the future.
- Cooktop and oven are either both electric or both gas.
- Appearance is not as integrated/seamless as with built-in appliances.
- Visually integrated (some built-in refrigerators even let you install custom door panels to match your cabinetry).
- When it comes to separate built-in ovens and cooktops, you can install a gas cooktop and electric wall oven.
- Cost: Product and installation costs are almost invariably higher than with free-standing appliances.
- Could be complicated and costly to change out in the future, possibly impacting cabinetry.
There are cases for both - and like anything, it greatly depends on your individual needs and wants. Do you have built-in or free-standing appliances in your kitchen? What do you see as additional pros/cons of each?