One sub-section of trivets is the expandable sort: it can get bigger or smaller, depending on the dish you need it to hold. We're rather fascinated by the ever-growing selection of these things: here's a look at ten (ten!) different sorts.
What do you think about expandable trivets? I don't own one personally; two hot pads or trivets do the trick with larger dishes. But some of these are pretty classy (and pricey!). Are they worth it? Or are they just indulgences of modern design over function?
• 1 Walnut extendable trivet, $40 at Arango Design (via Mighty Haus)
• 2 Augh Expanding Pan-Stand by Alessi, $88 at Emmo Home
• 3 Myria Expandable Trivet, $210 at Puremodern
• 4 Flower expandable trivet, $50 at Unica Home
• 5 Expandable Fish Trivet, $88 at MoMA Store
• 6 Propeller Trivet, $22.50 at Arango Design
• 7 Lenox "Butler's Pantry" Expandable Trivet, $19.99 at Macy's
• 8 Tabletalk Trivet, $55 at MoMA Store
• 9 Bamboo Expandable Trivet, $14.99 at Hot Plates
• 10 Dario Trivet, $43 at Completely Stainless
Related: Hot or Not: Kuhn Magnetic Trivet