I'm fairly convinced that everything from lamb to Brussels sprouts is better when braised. Give it some low heat and an afternoon to baste in its own juices, and food takes on never before seen levels of flavor and tenderness. Dinner win.
Give yourself a long weekend afternoon to make these braised recipes. The cooking aromas will drive you crazy, but your patience and restraint will be amply rewarded come dinner time. Most of these recipes also make plenty of leftovers for meals in the week to come.
• Star Anise and Ginger Braised Chicken from Leite's Culinaria
• Dijon-Braised Brussels Sprouts from Smitten Kitchen
• Braised Lebanese Eggplant with Chickpeas from Vegetarian Times
• Spice-Braised Lamb Shanks with Lentils from Saveur
• Short Ribs Braised in Coffee Ancho Chile Sauce from Gourmet
• Braised Celery with Crunchy Bread Crumb Topping from 101 Cookbooks
• Apple Cider Braised Brisket from Small Bites
• Lamb Tagine with Chickpeas and Apricots from Bon Appétit
Made any fantastic braises lately?
Related: Food Science: Why Tougher Meats Make Good Braises
(Image: Photo by Martin Brigdale © 2010 Ryland Peters & Small via Leite's Culinaria)