You may have heard that Taco Bell recently began testing a breakfast Waffle Taco at a few locations in Southern California. I haven't tried it and — being an admitted fast-food snob — probably never will, but I can understand the appeal. Hot, crisp, chewy waffles aren't just made for maple syrup or fruit. Pair them with cheese, chives, fried chicken, a runny egg, or even chili, and you have a plate of waffles ready for a savory brunch or even dinner.
Ham-and-Cheese Waffles at Bon Appetit
Some of these recipes mix ingredients like cheese, herbs, cornmeal and ham into the waffle batter for extra flavor and crunch. Others stick with a straightforward breakfast waffle and add savory ingredients like eggs and salsa on top. But arguably the best way to enjoy a savory waffle is with a little maple syrup, as in the classic combination of fried chicken and waffles. The marriage of salty, sweet and crunchy can't be beat.
RECIPES TO TRY
- 1 Savory Cornmeal and Chive Waffles with Salsa and Eggs at Joy the Baker
- 2 Pizza-Stuffed Waffles at Amy Bites
- 3 Mini Fried Chicken and Waffles at The Kitchn
- 4 Ham-and-Cheese Waffles at Bon Appetit
- 5 Fried Egg and Mango Salsa Waffle at Love & Lemons
- 6 Chili and Cornbread Waffle Stacks at Pinch of Yum
- 7 Cheddar and Green Chile Waffles with Thyme Maple Syrup at The Kitchn
Do you have any favorite recipes for savory waffles?
(Images: Joy the Baker; Amy Bites; Apples & Onions; Romulo Yanes/Bon Appetit; Love & Lemons; Pinch of Yum; Nora Singley)