Each of these foods is very simple to make the night before, and each lasts well. Most of these are also fairly nutritious, and a lot of them are high in fiber and whole grain yumminess.
So start a batch of one of these before you eat dinner; it often involves nothing more than boiling water.
• 1. Brown Rice - This is my own personal favorite for lunches. Short-grain brown rice is so nutty and stays so soft and tender, even in the fridge. Warm it up with some sesame oil and almonds — delicious!
• 2. Quinoa - Nutritious and nutty. Top with some shredded chicken or a few tomato slices.
• 4. Sweet Potato - Roast a sweet potato and take it to work with some cooked greens and a dollop of yogurt.
• 5. Beans - Cook a batch of beans tonight and they'll last all week!
• 7. White Rice - I don't like white rice as much as brown rice, but if you're making some rice anyway for dinner, make an extra cup and eat it for lunch!
• 8. Mashed Potatoes - Mashed potatoes are so delicious and comforting when reheated at work! Top with some extra melted cheese.
• 9. Polenta - Make a little extra polenta; it lasts well in the fridge. It needs a little stirring and extra liquid when you heat it up. You can also pour hot polenta into a baking sheet and let it cool. Slice and serve in squares; this makes for great lunches.
• 10. Oatmeal - Oatmeal? For lunch? Why yes! Steel cut oats are so filling and hearty, and they reheat splendidly. Make your morning batch a little larger, and eat them for lunch. Here's how to cook steel cut oats. .
Do you have any basics like this that you cook ahead for lunches?
(Images: Faith Durand; Emily Ho; Faith Durand)