Today Conan O'Brien tweeted that he's "only enjoyed four sandwiches in his life." Depressing, Conan! While I've had quite a few meals I can't recall, there are a few sandwiches in particular I remember as being fantastic. Do you have four favorite sandwiches? Read on for mine!
1. My grandmother's Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwich
- I can still taste the crisp, salty bacon fighting with the creamy sweet peanut butter for my taste buds' attention. Her secret was generously buttering the white bread before slathering it with peanut butter. My secret was to try my hardest to eat it slow enough.
2. The Roasted Sweet Potato Pesto Wrap in Denver
- I was visiting my college roommate in Denver when she brought me to a vegetarian restaurant with the best wrap I've ever tasted. Wraps are usually just poor substitutes for good, thick bread. Not this one. Filled with roasted sweet potatoes, caramelized onions, roasted mushrooms and a generous coating of pesto, it was sweet, savory, and incredibly satisfying.
3. The Russian Deli Special
- I used to love this tiny Russian deli outside of Detroit so much I'd bring dates there just so I could have my favorite sandwich. Small, cramped, and with plenty of fluorescent lighting, it really was the opposite of anywhere you'd want to go on a date. But my love for that sandwich drove me to turn a blind eye. It consisted of roasted turkey sliced thin, piled with coleslaw and Russian dressing on good rye bread. Creamy, messy, and perfect.
4. The Doner Kebab with Fries
- You might have tried a gyros or kebab sandwiches before, but nothing compares to the kebab stands in Europe. These aren't exactly classy joints, but for fast, convenient, and inexpensive food, there's nothing like a doner kebab. Stacked meat shaved thin and wrapped in a hot pita with onions, tomatoes, "white sauce" and the "spicy sauce," these hunger ceasing behemoths are greasy and wonderful. And better yet are the stands that will throw a few French fries as well.
What are your favorite sandwiches?
Related: Weekend Cooking: How to Make a Good Sandwich
(Images: Flickr user vxla licensed for use under Creative Commons)