The copper cup is a nice touch, but rest assured, you don't need one to enjoy a mule! Also referred to as a buck, this type of cocktail has just three required ingredients: ginger beer, citrus juice, and a jigger-full of your alcohol of choice. Here are some of our favorite versions of this breezy drink, perfect for spring and summer entertaining.
1. Dead Man’s Mule is one of a trio of cocktail recipes on this post from the blog Death to Sour Mix. The deft mix of aromatic liquors makes for quite the sophisticated sipper — it includes absinthe, orgeat, and St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, a spice-infused rum.
2. The Moscow Mule variation at Loving Cup is topped off with pilsner beer and garnished with a sprig of mint.
3. Elana at Stir and Strain shares her recipe for Lemon Rosemary Syrup, then uses it in a refreshing Meyer Lemon Rosemary Sparkler.
4. Difford’s Guide has over 3,000 cocktail recipes. Their formidable collection includes a recipe for the French Mule, notably including Cognac V.S.O.P. and a few dashes of Angostura Bitters.
5. If you live in Denver, CO, you’re in luck — Viewhouse has just debuted an entire mule menu! We would love to try some of these, especially the Angry Mule, which includes hard cider and cinnamon whiskey.
6. If you find yourself in New Orleans, hit up Lucky Rooster for their mule variation. A fixture on their spring drink menu, Juan’s Donkey includes Russell Henry Hawaiian White Ginger Gin and lemongrass ginger syrup.
7. And finally, my personal favorite: The Kensington Zinger, a mule I've enjoyed on more than one occasion at Jones bar in San Francisco. Read their menu description and try not to be intrigued: "If London’s royal residence were to have a house drink, this is what would be served: A Belvedere cocktail with a house-made ginger and jalapeno syrup to give it the zing, along with lemon juice and ginger beer."
Do you have a favorite mule variation? We'd love to hear about it in the comments below!
(Image credits: Lindsey Bartlett; Stir and Strain; Loving Cup; Wikimedia Commons)