This is a fabulous way to eat a lot of spinach: warm and spicy Palak Paneer.
- Stir-fried, with tons of garlic - This of course is our favorite way to eat mounds of spinach, fresh or frozen. Just heat a lot of slivered garlic in a little olive oil, dump in a bag of spinach and stir-fry until hot. Season with soy sauce and a pinch of pepper.
- Rolled up in pasta - Spinach and its tender greenness is great in pasta. We like these spinach lasagna roll-ups from our Quick Weeknight Meals contest. We also like this more indulgent spaghetti with mascarpone, Meyer lemon, spinach and hazelnuts. Yum.
- In pesto - In the wintertime, with hot-weather basil long gone, fill pesto cravings with spinach (and other cold-weater leafy greens). Just make pesto as usual, but use spinach instead of herbs. It's great in tomato soup!
- Blended into soup - Spinach is great in soups. It cooks up quickly and adds some green color and flavor to a fall soup. Here are some favorites: Spinach and Lemon Soup with Orzo and Spring Spinach and Herb Soup.
- In something with cheese - There's something about spinach that just makes us want to eat it with cheese, like in these Spinach-Pie Quesadillas (they look so good!) or on this white bean and taleggio pizza. The ultimate combo of spinach with cheese may be palak paneer, a spicy Indian dish full of squeaky chunks of paneer cheese. Great cold weather eating.
Here are a few more tips and recipes for spinach. What's your favorite way to eat spinach?
• Ricotta Pancakes with Spinach and Cherry Tomatoes
• 7 Variations on a Spinach Salad
• Spinach and Strawberry Salad
• Ina Garten's Spinach and Cheddar Soufflé
• Eating Light: Frozen Vegetables Are Your Friends
• Quinoa • Broccoli • Oats • Beets