An artichoke stuffed with vegetables and breadcrumbs. Artichokes are in season in the spring and fall. Other times of the year, though, we buy them jarred or frozen. We love frozen artichoke hearts; they are one of our freezer staples, and they are great for last-minute pastas and casseroles. Plus, they take all the work out of eating those delicious artichoke hearts.
- Steamed, with sauce on the side - You can steam an artichoke quickly in the microwave or even in the slow cooker. Here are some ideas for healthier alternatives to the traditional butter sauce: artichoke dipping sauces.
- Stuffed - Artichokes are delicious stuffed with all kinds of good things. Try this easy one, stuffed with vegetables and breadcrumbs.
- Grilled - We love that smoky flavor of artichokes that have been lightly steamed and then grilled. Here's how to grill an artichoke.
- In salad - Artichokes make a great addition to salads. Here's a recipe for raw artichoke, mushroom, and Parmesan salad, and another for warm artichoke salad with pancetta and sheep's milk cheese.
- In stews and other hot dishes - Artichokes are also a great vegetable for pasta, rice dishes, and stews. Here's a reader recipe for artichoke and lamb stew, and another for bacon and artichoke jambalaya.