We talked about high-end, premium brand dishwashers (i.e., expensive ones) earlier this week. But what if you're looking for a budget option? You could get a used one off Craigslist, but if you want a new model, here are five options we've found. Do you have another good recommendation to add? If you're in the market for a budget dishwasher, then most of the major high-end brands will be out of your price range — with one exception. Bosch makes a seriously inexpensive dishwasher. Does anyone know if it's any good?
Budget Dishwashers Under $500
These are all standard 24" dishwashers, and we pulled them after looking at GardenWeb, Chowhound, Consumer Reports, and various other sites where people discuss appliances. These brands seemed to have good word of mouth reports, consumer reviews, and ratings. Also, we only chose models that were Energy Star rated.
• 1. Kenmore White 24'' w/ SmartWash Cycle - 1389 - $493. Energy Star qualified, and highly recommended by Consumer Reports. This is a pretty sleek-looking dishwasher, with hidden controls and durable nylon racks.
• 2. Bosch Ascenta Series SHE5AL0 - $499 for the white or black versions. Yes, Bosch makes a rather inexpensive dishwasher. This one is highly rated over at AJ Madison, and it's Energy Star rated. The tub is stainless steel, and it has a feature we really like: The half-load option.
• 3. Maytag JetClean Plus w/ Sanitize Option - $450, and also Energy Star rated. We like the high-heat and sanitize options on this particular model. It's also highly rated by Consumer Reports.
• 4. Frigidaire FDB1100RH - $339.00 for stainless steel, $289 for white or black. These Frigidaire models have been well-reviewed at GardenWeb and some other sites we checked. They seem to be quiet, and get the dishes very dry. They are also extremely budget friendly; some places have these for under $270. They are also Energy Star rated.
• 5. GE GSD210 - $279. Only comes in black, white, or bisque — but is Energy Star rated, and at a seriously low price. The racks are nylon-coated, and there is a built-in food disposer.
Did you buy a budget dishwasher? What brand is it? Would you recommend it? Have you used any of these models?
(Images: Dishwasher manufacturers)