Whether you make the ones on the back of the Nestle bag or have a secret family recipe (which, let's face it, may have come from the back of the Nestle bag), we bet you have a chocolate chip cookie you love. These nine cover the classic, the trendy, and a few that are outside the box.
We love a very basic chocolate chip cookie—full of chips, but with enough batter to keep it from being too rich or sweet, and slightly underdone in the center. But we threw a few wildcards in here, including a vegan option. Are we missing your favorite? Let us know.
• 1. Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie, from Martha Stewart. We've made this cookie, and it's awesome. It has semisweet and milk chocolate chips, which adds a nice, surprising contrast we liked more than we thought we would (since milk chocolate isn't our favorite). We followed the advice of a friend and used chopped Hershey bars instead of milk chocolate chips.
• 2. New York Times Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie. In case you missed the zeitgeist last year, The New York Times polled a group of experts to distill the right components for creating the definitive recipe. Emma tested it out.
• 3. No-Mixer Chocolate Chip Cookies, from the Kitchn. Did you know that you don't have to beat the butter and sugar and add the eggs one at a time? You don't. This recipe is easy peasy.
• 4. Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, from Joy the Baker. We love anything that sniffs of healthy; it's an excuse to eat more. Joy takes you through the steps of freezing individual dough balls.
• 5. Skillet-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie, from Martha Stewart. Like a rustic, way-cooler version of the cookie cakes they sell at the mall!
• 6. Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, from Gourmet. We sometimes like those cookies where the chips stick out of a thin batter like bony little knuckles. These look like that type- mmm.
• 7. Killer Blondies, from the Kitchn. This was a guest recipe, and it's got all kinds of delicious, craggy chips going on. We love any sort of bar cookie- so much less time-consuming.
• 8. The Chewy Recipe, from Alton Brown. In true Alton Brown fashion, there were three consistencies (crispy, chewy, puffy) included in the episode. This one looked the best to us.
• 9. Chocolate Chip and Toffee Shortbread Cookies, from the Kitchn. These deviate the most from the traditional. Really, they're shortbread cookies that happen to have chocolate chips. But for those of you who like a nutty flavor, these are great.
Related: How to Make Perfect Ice Cream Sandwiches
(Images: See posts linked above for full image credits)