Blue potatoes, red carrots, purple cauliflower – the rainbow of offerings at Weiser Family Farms is so vibrant right now that we couldn't limit this week's market report to just one fruit or vegetable. Weiser also has an extra special treat this month that Angelenos should keep an eye out for. And even if you don't shop at the Hollywood Farmers' Market, read on for recipes that cover the spectrum of seasonal produce.
Tehachapi's Weiser Family Farms
is one of the stars of the Hollywood Farmers' Market
and other Southern California markets. Renowned for their premium organic potatoes and carrots, Alex Weiser's produce isn't just Technicolor beautiful, but always wonderfully flavorful, tender, and sweet. We've been known to proclaim that we'd never truly tasted potatoes until we discovered these ones. The rest of the farm's offerings are just as superb.
Here's what's in season at Weiser right now, along with recipe suggestions. Among the fall and winter staples like turnips and parsnips are super-sweet red flame raisins on the vine. They are not to be missed and should be available for at least another week.
• Confetti Potatoes and Pearl Onions
• Pommes Anna
• Rosemary Roast Potatoes
• Top Five Things To Do With Potatoes
• Seasonal Spotlight: Jerusalem Artichokes, a.k.a. Sunchokes
Purple and orange cauliflower
• Creamy Braised Cauliflower with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
• Farfalle with Cauliflower and Toasted Breadcrumbs
• Indian-Roasted Cauliflower
• Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini
• Seasonal Recipe Spotlight: Carrots
• Indian Spiced Carrot Soup with Ginger
• Spicy Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
• Parsnip, Mushroom and Leek Gratin
• Puréed Parsnips
• Seasonal Cooking: Interesting Things To Do with Turnips
• Rainbow Chard Salad with Raisins and Walnuts
(Images: Gregory Han and Emily Ho)