Little green mountains have started popping up all over our farmers' market. Unlike some of the market's year-round offerings, snap peas, snow peas, and fava beans are available for a limited time and it's well worth it to indulge in these deliciously sweet legumes while you can.
• Snap Peas with Meyer Lemon and Mint
• Pork Stir-Fry with Asparagus and Sugar Snap Peas
• Spinach Pesto Pasta with Fresh Peas and Mushrooms
• Quick Sesame Snow Peas
• Tofu Stir-Fry with Snow Peas and Mushrooms
• Fava Beans 101
• Ricotta Pasta with Fava Beans and Bacon
• Grilled Rainbow Chard With Fava Beans And Oregano
• Creamed Fava Beans
When shopping for any of these peas and beans, choose firm, green pods. Some scarring on sugar snap peas or black spots on fava bean pods is harmless. Store in a bag in the refrigerator. Spring peas and beans lose their sweetness and texture quickly, so eat them as soon as possible.
• For more information on the Hollywood farmers' market and other Los Angeles area markets, visit Farmernet.com
Related: Farmers' Market Report: Spring in Hollywood
(Images: Emily Ho)