Our first Hollywood Farmers' Market visit of the new year was filled with the scent of oranges, mandarins, and lemons, and colorful piles of red, gold, and striped Chioggia beets. We came home with several varieties of each and intend to make some beautiful citrus and beet salads this week. We love this combination and rounded up some recipes featuring our farmers' market finds…Roasted or raw, the earthy sweet flavor of beets is fantastic with tangy oranges or other citrus fruits. The combination brings bright flavor and color to winter salads. Peppery greens, fresh cheeses, and spices like coriander and chile are also good additions.
Here are some recipe ideas. Let us know if you have any favorite beet and citrus dishes!
• Quick Beets with Chile and Lemon, from The Kitchn
• Cabbage Beet Coleslaw, from The Kitchn
• Beet Salad with Tangerines, from Food & Wine
• Raw Beets with Orange-Coriander Vinaigrette, from Martha Stewart
• Roasted Beet and Blood Orange Salad with Spicy Greens, from 101 Cookbooks
• Roasted Beetroot and Clementine Salad, from Olive
• For more information on the Hollywood farmers' market and other Los Angeles area markets, visit Farmernet.com
(Images: Emily Ho)
Farmers' Market Report: Citrus Everywhere
Farmers' Market Report: Colorful Roots