We're craving colorful late-summer salads right now – like baby beets and turnips with blue cheese, or a panzanella with sweet, juicy watermelon. More on those recipes below, plus ginger fried chicken and the rich tradition of dates.
- The Denver Post's Beet Carpaccio au Bleu combines baby beets and turnips with a medley of spices and pungent blue cheese.
- The Oregonian says watermelon brings a surprising mellow quality to a classic bread salad.
- Pecan salmon salad is sure to impress guests, a local chef tells the Indianapolis Star.
- The Boston Globe explores the rich tradition of dates.
- Try a new twist on a picnic favorite with the ginger fried chicken from the San Francisco Chronicle.
Recent Newspaper Food Section Roundups
Baking Chocolate Chip Cookies On Your Dashboard 8.13.09
Kaya Toast: A Coconut Custard-Filled Treat 8.06.09
Cambodian-Style Amok Fish 7.29.09
Homemade Freezer Pops 7.22.09
(Image: Jennifer Olson/Denver Post)