Apples tend to get all the glory come fall, but we’ve always had a special fondness for pears. Topsy-turvy and easily bruised, pears have a short window of time when they’re at their juicy best. Here are a few ways to enjoy them while they’re here!
• Seckel Pear Tart with Poire William Cream from Gourmet - This one is almost too pretty to eat.
• Grilled Ham and Cheese with Pears from Martha Stewart - Pungent gruyere sounds like the perfect match to a sweet pear.
• Pear Crisps with Vanilla Browned Butter from Epicurious - Simple to pull together yet elegant enough for a dinner party.
• Tray-Baked Meringue with Pears, Cream, Toasted Hazelnuts, and Chocolate Sauce from Jamie Oliver - Only Jamie Oliver could come up a mess this delicious!
• Sweet Bacon and Pear Pizza from the Columbus Dispatch - We can’t wait to try this one.
• Brandied Pear Galette with Caramel Sauce from White on Rice Couple - Everything about this recipe says decadence.
• Gorgonzola and Pear Risotto from Simply Delicious - A classic combination of flavors in an unusual setting.
• Pear Bread from Smitten Kitchen - Not too sweet, a slice of this would make an excellent mid-day snack.
What are your favorite recipes with pears?
Related: Alternative to Apple Sauce: Anyone Making Pear Sauce?
(Image: John Kernick/Gourmet)