Does this time of year leave you yearning for a freshly baked apple pie? Us too! Whether you are a pro at whipping up apple pies or attempting your first one, this set of tips and tricks will help you make the most out of apple season.
I made my first apple pie with a classic Martha Stewart recipe. I remember feeling terrified the dough for the crust wasn't coming together and that I had piled in too many apple slices. Or too few! But somehow, it all came together so well I've made apple pies over and over again. Try these recipes and hone your own apple pie skills:
• Old Fashioned Apple Pie at Martha Stewart
• Sour Cream Apple Pie at Gourmet
• Candy Apple Pie
There are a few classic apple varieties used in pies but don't limit yourself to those options:
• Upick Apples: Choosing the Best Apples for Baking
Apple pie hinges on a stellar flaky crust. Read these tips on making your own crust or the best store-bought variety to pass off as homemade:
• How to Make a Pie Crust From Scratch
• Finishing Touches: How to Get a Golden Pie Crust
• Trader Joe's Pantry: Trader Joe's Frozen Pie Crusts
Not an expert? These tips will help bring your pies to the next delicious level:
• Perfect Pies: Tips for Making Pies from Scratch
• Best Pie Tip: Brush the Crust with Egg
• Questions for Allie: Why is my Pie Dough Shrinking?